March 12, 2011

W is for a Worrisome and Weary Week

Japan, Life, Reflections

I’ve decided to put up my Alphabe-Thursday post early this week.  I had thought about skipping this week because of everything going on around me right now but I need the mental release and I felt that writing about it will help me process everything that is going on in my head…

This is going to be a long one to read…sorry…

*******************************************

Last week was suppose to be a wonderful week.

We celebrated E’s 2nd birthday on the 4th. Plus my exhibition kicked off to a great start and although I was busy with family most of the week, I was really looking forward to celebrating with my friends at the reception party last Friday. I even cooked a Turkish feast for the reception that Friday morning.

But the reception never happened….

Because at 2:46pm, Japan was hit with one of the worst earthquakes ever in recorded Japanese history.

We live in Tokyo so the damage was not as severe but the fear and the worry can be felt everywhere we went. We were “safe” but at the same time everyone had emergency packs waiting by the door in the case that the worst was not over.

Friday evening, the streets and stores were at the most crowded I have ever seen it. Commuters were stranded in Central Tokyo as all train lines, roads and any form of transportation were shut down for damage inspections. People were left sleeping in emergency shelters or in their offices until trains were up again late Friday night/early Saturday morning.

The markets, convenient stores and many fast food restaurants were crowded with people who were trying to stock up on food and supplies. By early Saturday morning, many shelves were stripped bare and restaurants were closed because of the shortages of food supplies.

Photo Mar 14 22 05 19

Photo Mar 14 22 04 50

Even now, we are experiencing a shortage of food and with the possibility of rolling blackouts, there are also concerns for fresh drinkable water.

But that is only what was happening in Tokyo. We at least have electricity and running water.

People living in the northern coastal areas of Japan were hit hardest with additional destruction caused by the following tsunamis. It was a horrific sight to see on tv and in the newspapers.

Screenshot 2011 03 14 at 10 00 48 PM

Source: CNN

The northern cities of Sendai and Minami Senriku are practically obliterated by the tsunami waves and the neighboring prefectures are also quite damaged and without water, gas or electricity. Many lives were lost and the body count is still rising with each passing day. It seems that every morning, they find more and more dead bodies than survivors.

Screenshot 2011 03 14 at 10 03 03 PM

Arahama in Sendai (Before)

Screenshot 2011 03 14 at 10 03 14 PM

After. Source: ABC News

Those lucky to have escaped have essentially lost everything, their entire lives washed away in front of their eyes. It’s completely heartbreaking to watch survivors on tv talk about losing everything and then having to try to survive in the cold shelters with barely enough water or food.

To add insult to the injury that we’ve already sustained, there is trouble brewing at the nuclear power plants located near the major damage zones. Because of the earthquake, the cooling system for several of the reactors was damaged and is at risk of a meltdown, possibly releasing a lot of deadly radioactive materials into the air. There is a lot of fear that there will be a nuclear disaster similar to the one in Chernobyl in the 80’s.

It seems that everyday that passes us by, the nuclear situation seems to be getting worse and more unsteady. Radiation has been detected in some areas. Minimal radiation but radiation nonetheless. A lot of people are anxious about what would happen if they cannot fix the situation fast enough. Over 20km of homes in the area were evacuated for safety. Many friends and colleagues of mine have fled Tokyo and some even Japan for places that are safe from the nuclear plants.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared about the situation we’re in.

Being a California native, earthquakes are no stranger to me but I have never in my life experienced something as terrifying as this. Even the Northridge quake of ’94 seems like nothing compared to the fear that we are all feeling in Japan right now.

In fact, the thought of leaving Japan or at least Tokyo has crossed my mind several times but I can’t leave without Jason. He still has to go to work since he works in finance and the market doesn’t close just because people are scared and panicking. Plus, we have so many friends here who are in the same boat as us but they are also staying around. So that means that we’re going to stick it out here until they tell us we need to evacuate.

We are still feeling aftershocks now, days after Friday’s major earthquake. Every single time I feel the ground shake, I get scared that it will be another big one. I don’t even want to imagine the devastation that will occur if Tokyo was hit with another major quake.

Even E can feel the tension in the air. Every time we get hit with a strong aftershock, she crawls onto my lap and starts to cry. It’s so hard trying to comfort her and tell her that everything will be alright when I’m not fully convinced of it myself.

DSC 7998

E playing with Bear and being oblivious to the disaster shown on tv.

When China, Chile, Indonesia and New Zealand all got hit by a big earthquake/tsunami that resulted in mass destruction and deaths, my heart went out to them and I wanted to help them as much as possible even if it was mainly monetary aid. The feeling is different this time since I feel like it is my own country, my home that is going through all the suffering and I am unsure of what I can do to help.

I am just left waiting and hoping that things will not get any worse than it already is….and that’s the hardest thing to do. Not knowing what to do and just waiting for the government to tell us how to act is driving me up the wall.

It just breaks my heart to see how bad things are in Northern Japan. Every time I turn on the tv and more bad news is being reported, I just want to start crying. Even when things finally calm down once again, the damages that have been done are so devastating that it will take Japan a long time to heal. Not to mention the fear that we’ve all experienced this week will not subside that quickly. How do we wrap our minds around this situation and then just continue going about our lives normally?

When 9/11 happened, I was still in college and it was a horrible event to have been alive to witness (on tv for me). Still, the events of 9/11 didn’t set in fears as strongly as this earthquake has. Maybe it’s because I felt the impact of the disaster directly this time and I’m still experiencing it everyday with the aftershocks and the stuff with the nuclear plants. Either way, I truly hope that we don’t have to experience a disaster of this caliber again in our lifetime. Once is enough for me.

Please keep Japan in your prayers….and if you want to help, you can donate to the Red Cross online or text REDCROSS at 90999 which donates $10 to help those in need.  There is also a list of other organizations as well as ways you can help the victims of the earthquake.

By the way, I’ve seen some mean remarks made about how this is Divine punishment for the Japanese for either a) Pearl Harbor or b) the whole Whaling thing (comment made by the captain of Sea Shepherd himself). As much as it angers me that they can say such hateful things, they are not worth the time and energy. Never in a million years would I want to wish for something like this to happen to my enemies. Saying such things just means that these people are heartless and cruel and that one day they will get their Divine punishment.

*************************

As for me, I’ll be on and off this week, updating friends and family of the situation here in Tokyo. I’m trying not to use my computer too much since we have been asked to conserve electricity until things improve. I’ll try my best to visit people on other blogs because I really need the distraction but at the same time, my heart just isn’t in it at this time. So I apologize for slacking. When things get calmer, I will come back and catch up with everyone.

If the situation gets any worse with the nuclear plants, we might have to up and flee the danger until further notice. Let’s just hope that a nuclear meltdown does not happen…

Jenny Matlock

You Might Also Like

62 Comments

• Reply Judie March 15, 2011 at 3:01 am

Jen, there will always be mean-spirited people around! We saw that after the shooting here in Tucson. That horrible “church” in Kansas threatened to come in and protest during the funerals.
    I am posting a link to your post today on my blog, and hopefully people will read what you have written about the earthquake, the tsunami, and the nuclear power plants.

I am sooooo sorry that your reception didn’t come off as planned, Jen. I know how important that was to you.

Much love to you and your family,
    Judie

• Reply Jo March 15, 2011 at 5:22 am

Forget the mean people Jen … heck my daughter is english-scottish on my side and russian german on her fathers … there’s enemies for you … the past is the past and most people have grown … and those that haven’t are just foolish …

Words cannot express how i feel about the loss’s in Japan … of lives, of everything … it does cause me deep pain to think of the devastation … and it will take years maybe generations for a full recovery but Japan will survive … they have always been a strong nation …
    I am wishing you peace and calm through these horrific times …

• Reply Bec March 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

Oh boy. I’ve been having a pity party for myself because I have been so stressed out and what you are going through definitely puts it into perspective. I really hope you and your family can stay safe. I will be sending prayers your way!

• Reply Purplume March 15, 2011 at 6:51 am

Jen,
    I hope this was cathartic for you to write. My heart is heavy for all of you over there.
    I remember after the Northridge quake, reading an article that said the effects take a long time to get over and to be gentle with yourself. It surprised me how long it took and how far reaching the effects were. And that was so much less than your recent one.
    I remember how I hated hearing the aftershocks come, it felt like insult added to injury. I am praying for you and yours for ease and grace and safety.
    Don’t worrry about coming to my blog. I’ll be watching yours and catch you here. <3

• Reply Mama Kat March 15, 2011 at 7:00 am

I can’t imagine what you must feel like living there and experiencing all the trauma. I wish there was more we could all do!

• Reply Su-sieee! Mac March 15, 2011 at 7:03 am

Dear Jen, thank you for taking the time to write about what is happening. I appreciate it very much. I’m glad that you and your family are doing fine. I’ve seen some videos of the tsunami in action. It was frightening and humbling at the same time. We can’t control nature, no matter how much we think we can. Don’t pay attention to those mean people with their truly ignorant beliefs. Hard to, but try. I’m going to post your link at my Facebook wall. Buena Fortuna!

• Reply Mama Syder March 15, 2011 at 7:03 am

Sending you lots of love from the Uk. My heart goes out to everyone in Japan. Keep safe x

• Reply Mandi March 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

Just know we are praying for you and your country and will be doing everything we can to help…

• Reply Lynnie March 15, 2011 at 7:08 am

I am glad you and your family are well. We are also near Tokyo and the earthquake traumatized my children. My heart breaks fot the people in Japan who have lost loved ones and homes. I feel honored to be able to live in this country and am praying for all of us everyday to be safe and calm. Big hugs!

• Reply JulieD March 15, 2011 at 7:09 am

I really can’t imagine what you’re going through.Thinking of you, your family and Japan. It’s completely heartwrenching and heartbreaking to see the video footage and photographs on television for me, I can’t imagine experiencing it firsthand.

• Reply Ames March 15, 2011 at 7:10 am

Dear sweet girl, I am keeping you and yours and all of Japan in my prayers. This is just horrible, and sad, and scary to the thousandth degree.

Some people are just plain ignorant. This could just as easily hit the U.S. as anywhere else. There are scientific explanations for the earthquakes and Tsunami’s if the blamers would care to educate themselves instead of spewing insensitive garbage from their mouths.
    We have a friend in South Korea and her mom owns a restaurant in Japan. Not sure where, but we have been unable to contact our friend to see if her mom is ok. So, we worry too!

You do what you can to be prepared, stay informed and keep positive. God loves you and so do I and all your blogger friends! We are here if you need to share what’s going on. God bless! and Be safe!~Ames

• Reply michelle March 15, 2011 at 7:10 am

my thoughts go out to you and everyone in japan … my heart breaks at the images i see online and on the news, and i simply can’t imagine the fear, anxiety and pain the country must be feeling. i feel especially awful for the older people … the ones who lived through the horror of hiroshima and nagasaki, and now have their lives upended once again. i’m literally on the other side of the world (nova scotia, canada), but i hope that my good thoughts and wishes find their way to you. take care.

• Reply Have Myelin March 15, 2011 at 7:21 am

Forget the mean people…there are more of us that care! Most of us are doing what we can to help believe me. I am so sorry about what happened. I will be watching your blog.

Stay safe.

• Reply Karen March 15, 2011 at 7:54 am

Japan (and now you and your family) are in my thoughts and prayers. There really are no other words to say other than I hope that you all remain strong through whatever happens. It’s hard to understand why things like this happen. I sincerely, fervently hope that things get better SOON.

• Reply Nicole Taylor March 15, 2011 at 8:05 am

Jen, My heart broke for you as I read this. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying as we went through the same thing here after September 11th, but I still can’t imagine the devastation that you all are experiencing at the moment. Just keep your head up, stay as positive as you can and know that people all over the world are thinking about you all and doing what they can to help out. We all are feeling a little helpless and heartbroken at the moment and the best I can do is send you a heartfelt virtual hug! (((( HUGS ))))
    Hang in there ! Japan will make it through this…….

• Reply Nathan Jackson March 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

Thank you for sharing this story. I hope you all remain safe.

• Reply Cheryl D. March 15, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through right now. I haven’t seen a single negative comment. Everyone I know in the U.S. is in a deep state of shock. I live in L.A. and everyone I know is updating their earthquake kits. I lived through the Northridge quake and was in D.C. during 9/11, so I know how awful it can be to go through such horrendous events. It’s scary to think that Northridge was just a sliver of what the people in Japan are going through now.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and with the poor people up on the Northern coast.

• Reply Liz B March 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

Thank you so much for sharing your news and your concerns. Please know that for every mean American, there are at least 1000 nice Americans. I, too, lived through the CA earthquakes from 1971 through 1994, and they are a whisper compared to what you are experiencing. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, your friends and your country. God Bless you.

• Reply Robyn Engel March 15, 2011 at 11:40 am

You and your beautiful country are in my heart, tears, and prayers.
    xoRobyn

• Reply Pondside March 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The world is thinking of you and praying for you in Japan. No country, no people ‘deserve’ natural disaster – what a terrible thing for people to say. We are all in the ‘same boat’ on this planet. Yesterday Christchurch, today Sendai…tomorrow someone else’s neighbourhood. We have to pitch in and help one another.

• Reply askcherlock March 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Dear Jen,
    I am here because I found you through Judie’s blog. Hearts are crying for you and praying for all of you from around the world. What Japan had experienced is so hard to comprehend. You put a face to it and for that we are so grateful. I must say that through it all, I have been completely impressed by the honor of the Japanese people. Never have I witnessed such grace and dignity in the midst of utter devastation. You are an example of the best in humanity. Please keep us updated on the safety of you and your family as best you can. Feel the love from across the miles and know that our family is giving through the Red Cross, as are many of our friends. E is beautiful. She will cling to you for safe-keeping. And you can cling to the prayers of many being sent your way.

Cher

• Reply Stef March 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Jen,
    I have been thinking and praying for you and your family since Friday. I can only imagine your thoughts and worries. No one should have to go through all that the people of Japan are experiencing. No- one.

• Reply Akseli Koskela March 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Hi Jen,
    Judie from “Rogue Artists” posted a link to your blog. I am glad to hear that you are sticking it out, it must be very tough for you over there. Know that people from around the world are thinking about you.

• Reply Jade @ No Longer 25 March 16, 2011 at 1:15 am

Thank you for posting this and helping us understand. It’s so difficult to imagine what it must be like, we have friends in Tokyo and so hear bits of information.

It’s so hard to comprehend, seems like watching a movie it’s so unreal. My thoughts are with you and the people of Japan.

• Reply Jenners March 16, 2011 at 2:53 am

I am so glad to have a post from you. I’ve been thinking and worrying about you as the news keeps getting worse involving the nuclear plants. I am sure it is terrifying and stressful. And of course this will have more effect on you than other things because you are directly affected and there and not just a bystander watching it on tv. And the nasty things people are saying are not even worth giving one millisecond of thought to. Hang in there. Do what you need to do to keep safe and take whatever steps you need to relieve your stress. And I think you are right…this isn’t something that is just going to be fixed in a few days. Praying for you and your family. Hugs.

• Reply Amber March 16, 2011 at 2:58 am

I don’t even know where to begin, I feel out of the loop. I mean I know what happened, but I don’t like watching the news it is too depressing.

With that in mind I can’t imagine how you are feeling and how those north of you were feeling. I’m so glad you posted on your blog, I was checking to see if you were ok.

As for the hate, I just can’t believe it…

I will be praying,
    Amber

• Reply Jenny Matlock March 16, 2011 at 8:32 am

Oh Jen. Never let the cruel remarks of mean-spirited people waste a moment of your time. Focus on the important things…your family, your friends, your country.

I hope it gives you some small comfort to know that you friends around the world are wrapping you in prayers.

Be safe, my friend. Do what you need to do for now. We will waiting for you when you can return.

Hugs, hope, and prayers,
    Jenny Matlock

• Reply Mary March 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’ve been thinking about you, Jason & adorable E! It puts my minor worries & concerns in perspective. I can’t even wrap my brain around how life must be there and in northern Japan…Keeping you & your family and the rest of Japan in my prayers. Stay safe.

• Reply EG Wow, Canada March 17, 2011 at 4:34 am

I’m glad your family is well and do hope the worsening nuclear problem is solved.

Please don’t pay any attention to people who say God is punishing Japan. That is pure ignorance. How can people who claim to believe in a God of love say such mean-spirited words?

Meanwhile, most of the world wishes Japan all the best!

• Reply GardenOfDaisies March 17, 2011 at 5:20 am

My heart goes out to you and all the people in Japan. Try to ignore the morons who say icky things. Please stay safe.

• Reply Sue Anderson March 17, 2011 at 5:47 am

My husband works for a bank that is owned by the Japanese, and we have been so saddened to hear the personal stories of loss and heartbreak. Both of us are praying for everyone involved.

I think it is heartening to hear the stories about how wonderfully the Japanese people are treating one another in this crisis. It is touching to hear hardened newsmen exclaiming over the kindnesses and inclusion that are being practiced there.

Hopefully, they will get the nuclear issue resolved sooner than later. It makes a tragic situation so much worse that all of you have to worry about that, too.

“/

• Reply Lorrie March 17, 2011 at 6:06 am

I linked through to your blog through Jenny’s Alphabet Thursday. I’m not a participant, but read the posts occasionally.

I am so sorry about all that has happened in Japan. I live on Vancouver Island and know that we could have the same thing happen here. None of us are immune from trouble. I hope that those mean-spirited people who try to use this tragedy to advance their own angry religion will realize how hurtful their comments are and have a change of heart.

Prayers for the people of Japan are said regularly here – in many homes and churches. We stand together as human beings. Blessings to you and your family.

• Reply Mumsy's Place March 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

Hi Jen, I came here from Jenny Matlock’s blog. I want you to know that you and all of Japan are in our thoughts and prayers. We were so sadden to hear the news of such horrific devastation. Leaving you lots of warm hugs.

• Reply Jackie March 17, 2011 at 6:22 am

I’ve been updating myself on the whole situation there and I am glad you are safe at least. That quake was a massive one and the tsunami has made a mess of things . I’m sure everyone will be quite busy cleaning up the mess it made and I have donated a small amount to the canadian red cross japan relief .

• Reply Polly (5th Sister) March 17, 2011 at 6:30 am

Dear Jen,

Not an hour goes by without another prayer for the people of your nation. Many ask how a loving God can allow such devastation. I am not God and cannot answer that but I do know one thing. It is how people respond to such adversity that their true character/nature shines through. You are a beacon of hope to others right now. May God bless you.

PS…The way the Japanese people are handling this crisis is an example to the world. I hope you don’t mind but I am going to link your blog to my FB page. Others need to read your 1st hand account.

• Reply Nezzy March 17, 2011 at 7:20 am

This Ozark Farm Chick popped over from Jenny’s just to give you some support! I can’t even wrap my brain around anyone with any heart being mean at a time like this. I’m just thrilled that you and your family are OK. Let me tell ya that little “E” is just the most beautiful precious bundle of love!!! What a sweetheart!

God bless you and know my heart and prayers are with Japan.

• Reply magsmcc March 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

We are right across the hemisphere, but following as closely as we can by news and by prayer. Bon courage to you and your family, with you or far away.

• Reply Arkansas Patti March 17, 2011 at 8:36 am

My heart and prayers go out to you and all the peoples of Japan. This is an event that is so massive in scope it is hard to comprehend.
    I have been overwhelmed by the kindness, class and cooperation the Japanese people have shown. They have set the bar so high for behavior in crisis.
    Please ignore the ignorant. They are so outnumbered and have almost no voice. I have yet to hear any negative comments, only genuine caring and compassion.
    I will be contacting the Red Cross as I have and intense desire to help.
    Be strong.

• Reply Theresa March 17, 2011 at 8:54 am

Jen – The planet is reeling from Japan’s devastation and feels your pain. Sending you good vibes from faraway Florida, US.

• Reply Cindy Adkins March 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

Hi Jen,
    I went through the Northridge earthquake and lost everything, so my heart truly goes out to you and the other people in Japan going through this…All I can say is that I am happy that you are alive and I pray that God will give you the strength to go through this one day at a time…sending big (((hugs))) your way,
    Cindy
    XO

• Reply Cindy Adkins March 17, 2011 at 10:36 am

Jen,
    One more thing–and I am serious about this…If you need to leave Japan and need a place to stay for a month, you and your husband are welcome to come stay at my home in New Orleans…I would be happy to have you.
    Just let me know.
    XO

• Reply taylorsoutback March 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

As we watch each day and the news unfolds, we are struck by the incomprehensible destruction to your beautiful country. But what has become so apparent is how strong each of you are, how incredibly patient, caring of each other and gracious in the face of this turmoil. I add my prayers for your continued safety and well being.

• Reply Gattina March 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I agree with what Jenny says, unbelievable that people are so disgusting !
    I don’t know what to say it’s just such a terrible situation I wish you a lot of courage !

• Reply Lola March 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm

You and yr family are in our thoughts and prayers,

Hugs

Lola:)

• Reply Lizzie March 17, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’m in SW England, and concern and loving, compassionate and genuine thoughts are being expressed everywhere I’ve been since last Friday, so hold on to the fact that anything other from any source is cruel and rubbish and I would think completely unrepresentative of what the majority of people think. There are vigils and campaigns, donations and positive action re: nuclear energy mounting as a result of what’s happened. I hope you can manage to keep blogging as we are hungry for your posts ♥

• Reply Rachael @ Mrs. Adventure March 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm

This is my first time on your blog – I’m stopping by from Alphabet Thursday’s. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I’m so sorry for what you and your country are going through. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I cannot possible imagine being in Japan right now. Its amazing to see the wonderful people of Japan lifting eachother up instead of compaining like most American’s would do… as far as Divine punishment those idiots come out of the woodwork everytime something awful happens. Keep your head up they will get what’s coming to them. In the meantime I will continue to pray for all those affected in Japan.

XO – Rach

• Reply jen March 18, 2011 at 12:28 am

Jen,
    I have been on vacation with my family this week, so I have done no blogging since the quake. Every time they mention Tokyo I think of your family. I hope it all ends soon and that they can get power to those nuclear plants. My prayers are with you, and hug E for me and for Evie. I know they’d be friends if you were here.
    Jen

• Reply cj Schlottman March 18, 2011 at 12:33 am

You and your family, indeed, every soul affected by this horrible disaster is in my prayers. I am so glad you can write down your feelings about it, because I believe it is cathartic. I have a nephew in Japan, and we have not had any word about him. Thanks for keeping this awful thing in the forefront of our thoughts. I’ll keep praying.

With wishes for a good outcome for you……….cj

• Reply OldOldLady Of The Hills March 18, 2011 at 1:40 am

My heart goes out to you and all of the people of Japan who continue to suffer….The devistation is unimagineable…! Take Heart….most people are with you and all the people in Japan who have been effected by this uncredible continuinghorror….Anyone who says these terrrible and ignorant things about Japan are hopefully in the minority. I have not heard anything like that–evryone I know is in solidarity with all the people of Japan…..
    I send you and yours hugs and the hope that things calm down soon. I got here through Arkansas Patti who had a link to your blog on her blog. I live in L.A. and remember the Northridge quake well—-but what you all are living through now is beyond comprehension…..xx, Naomi

• Reply Abby March 18, 2011 at 2:17 am

Oh Jen, this whole post is just heart breaking.

You and your family {and entire country} are still in my thoughts. I hope you get some good news soon, and that you won’t need to evacuate.

xxx

• Reply Rocky Mountain Woman March 18, 2011 at 4:02 am

Praying for you sweetie…stay safe and know that you are loved..

• Reply JDaniel4's Mom March 18, 2011 at 4:57 am

I am holding you in my prayers. I hope you are all safe and secure. Please let us know if we need to pray for you in other ways.

• Reply Keri March 18, 2011 at 7:10 am

My heart goes out to you. I cannot imagine what you are going through. You are in my prayers.

• Reply Marlene March 18, 2011 at 10:32 am

My husband and I are praying for all of Japan – we’re asking for strength and peace and rapid solutions. blessings, marlene

• Reply Weekend Reading: Helping in Tragedy | My Perfect Mess March 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm

[…] W is for a Worrisome and Weary Week… I came across this post almost by accident. Jen is currently living in Japan and writes about the tragedy from her perspective. I can’t imagine what they are going through even though she so eloquently writes about it. […]

• Reply LC March 20, 2011 at 5:58 am

Just hopped over via the link on Arkansas Patti’s site. As we pray for those in the northern provinces and all of Japan, know that I will be praying as well for you and others who report “minor” damage. After Hurricane Katrina on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, after awhile we realized that even those who escaped the incredible devastation and loss of loved ones, even they suffered the loss of a unique way of life, their landmarks, their sense of security, and the list goes on.

Then there is the feeling of guilt and sense of helplessness after you have done all you could do, and things for relatives, friends and colleagues still are not “fixed” and never will be. The road to recovery is long for everyone intimately touched by this disaster, even those who still have homes and family. Be gentle with yourself.

• Reply Kittie Howard March 20, 2011 at 7:14 am

Hi, Jen! I’m dropping in from Arkansas Patti’s blog (as she gave your blog a shout-out.) Thank you for sharing your feelings as you and your family cope with this horrible tragedy. Please know that we are with you, in prayer and in positive spirit and send both to you. Do not, please, let a few sick people nibble at the goodness the overwhelming majority feels for Japan and its people. They just aren’t worth a minute of your time. Hugs!

• Reply Jenny Matlock March 21, 2011 at 12:51 am

Jen, just letting you know that you, your loved ones, and all your countrymen remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and Hope from Arizona.

• Reply Leanne March 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hugs. It’s my first time here but please, be safe and know the whole world is keeping all of Japan in their hearts and prayers. I have NO idea who those people are who think Japan would deserve this, I HOPE you’re kidding about that part, but I fear you’re not. Sigh. Crazy world. Stay safe!

• Reply Paige March 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

There have been a lot of tears and hours of cnn in our house because of this. We’re just devasted by it, too.

• Reply Lisa H. March 22, 2011 at 4:50 am

Many prayers are coming your way from Tennessee. I cannot imagine the trauma you are experiencing. We never know what will happen tomorrow, so today show those you love how much you love them.

• Reply Raw Thoughts And Feelings April 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I like how you kept us all in the loop with what was going on in your country using this Alphabe meme..It’s great to know from you who lives in the heart of it.

It was a devastating disaster, and prayer is with Japan from all over the world!